Saturday, July 14, 2007

Faith of Our Fathers - Heb. 11:13

"All these faithful ones died without receiving what God had promised them, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed the promises of God. They agreed that they were no more than foreigners and nomads here on earth." Heb. 11:13

One can't help but feel inadequate when he reads Heb. 11 -- How do I measure up to these great men of faith? But I wonder what these guys thought of themselves at the time? I am willing to bet that, like ourselves, they often felt that they were not living up to God's expectations. They were probably as hard on themselves as we are, always aspiring for more, always feeling that what they are is not good enough. I also take some comfort in knowing that all these men had to grow in their faith: Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Moses, David -- they all had their moments of weakness and doubt, but God knew their hearts. My faith is at least strong enough to be confident that God knows mine.

Lord, you are the God of my life. Regardless of my weaknesses, you know that I love you and trust you completely. I am yours, do with me as you please--grow me up in my faith.

Today's reading: Is. 19-21; Heb. 11

1 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger Alice Remedios said...

There is a vast difference between true humility and false humility. True humility brings us peace, the kind that helps us remain faithful even if we never see the fulfillment of God's promises in our lifetime. It helps us to take our eyes off the promises and focus on the the One who IS the fulfillment of ALL promises: Jesus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home