Friday, September 29, 2006

Upheaval - Luke12:51

"Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to bring strife and division! From now on families will be split apart, three in favor of me, and two against--or the other way around." Lk. 12:51

Every time I read this verse, my initial reaction is, "What?! That's not the God I know!" But the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Jesus came to break the status quo--it's not just business as usual--you don't just believe something just because your family has "always" believed a certain way. Jesus is bringing upheaval. A decision will have to be made, are you for me or against me? This decision has the power to divide families, spouses, friends--but this is serious stuff. This is eternal stuff. What will it be? Peace status quo and a "peaceful" life? Or... tension, division, broken relationships and lots of souls won for Christ? Wow! Are those the only two choices?? Not all the time, but it makes me think of another verse we just read, "Much is required from those to whom much is given." Lk. 12:48 God has given me A LOT, it makes sense that the things he asks of me won't be necessarily be easy -- but I like the easy life! Maybe I should have just read the first part of this verse, "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly." Is this like, "ignorance is bliss"? Oh yeah, there is the "punishment" part... Bottom line is that some tough times are part of the plan to force mankind to make a choice, and I am part of putting that plan into action. Doesn't sound like fun, but he's the boss. Not my will...

God, give me the courage and strength when the tough times come -- I only want to honor you.

Today's reading: Zech. 4-6; Lk. 12

2 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, Blogger micah 6:8 said...

unfortunately ignorance of God's law will really goof you up. that kind of bliss is always what gets me. it's the times i don't want to know -really know what God wants that causes me to pull up short.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Can there be any lasting peace before Jesus' return? Yoour post reminds me of 1st Thessalonians 5:3:
For when they are saying, "Peace and safety," then sudden destruction will come on them, like birth pains on a pregnant woman; and they will in no way escape.
Maranatha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home