Friday, November 10, 2006

The Greatest Commandment - 1Cor.8:1, 11

"While knowledge may make us feel important, it is love that really builds up the church... So because of your superior knowledge, a weak Christian, for whom Christ died, will be destroyed." 1Cor. 8:1, 11

This is so convicting to me right now. Lately, I have felt myself having little patience with other Christians who were acting in ways that "they should know better." And this is not in just one area, it is spreading to a point where my so-called "superior knowledge," has made me cold to their circumstances. Almost like I was judging them, or maybe worse, something that the Bible says God hates, "haughty eyes." While my "knowledge" may be right, my reaction is not, because "...it is LOVE that really builds up the church." Leave it to Satan to take even something like biblical knowledge and find a way to use it against me (we should all read Screwtape Letters at least once a year!). I risk tearing down another Christian because I refuse to make the effort to empathize -- where is the love in that? Shouldn't I know better?

Lord, may it never be that another Christian stumbles because of me. Soften my heart, show me YOUR ways.

Today's reading: Job 35, 36; 1Cor. 7, 8

1 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how i need an impartation from the Lord in this area! Romans 15:1 We who are strong ought to bear with failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.

deny and bear
deny and bear

"bear one anothers burdens"

And Lord, I know that knowledge "puffs up". I also know that pride goes before the fall.

Lord impart to me the ability to lift my brother up at all times, refrain from judgement, and let your mercy and grace rain through me to others in a powerful way. amen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home