Friday, November 03, 2006

Stay Alert - Mk. 14:38

"Keep alert and pray. Otherwise temptation will overpower you. For though the spirit is willing enough, the body is weak." Mk. 14:38

I don't believe that Jesus is only addressing this specific circumstance when he said this; what temptation would he be referring to? However, earlier in 13:33, he refers to us not knowing the day or hour when the Messiah will return, and so therefore to, "...stay alert and keep watch." Well, this brings it into a better context for me. If we do not stay alert, living in anticipation of Jesus' return, we may very well succumb to the temptations of this world. Namely, the lie that this is all there is. We may start living like we actually belong here! Then, all of a sudden (slippery slope), the things of this world rise to greater importance than the purpose Christ put us here for. In fact, it may get so bad that it might require a pastor to write a book to remind us that we even have a God given purpose!

Jesus, I am hugely unsuccessful at living every day like it is my last. In my weakness, please let me never lose sight of why I am here. Help me to stay "awake" and alert.

Today's reading: Job 25; Mk. 13, 14

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home