Sunday, March 25, 2007

GOAL!! - 1Cor. 9:25-26

From 3/24/07 reading:

"All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step." 1Cor. 9:25-26

I am always drawn to verses that describe my walk with the Lord (in other words, my life) as a competition. The analogy is such a good one. I have an opponent who actually still thinks he can win. So his effort is to trip me up every chance he gets; he knows me intimately, is willing to play dirty, and enjoys even my smallest failures. To win, an athlete must: be disciplined, stay focused on a goal that is hard to see, be willing to be different, make his goal part of his life, work out consistently (even when he doesn't want to), and have endurance. Even though it seems that I am never perfect in all these disciplines at any one time, I am convinced that my effort makes Satan's job (my opponent) a whole lot harder. In the end, I know that I have already won, but I still want to hear coach say, "well done..."

Holy Spirit, I pray that you will help me to see through all the distractions of the life I live, and most especially the efforts of my opponent who never tires of trying to beat me down. Like a trained athlete, keep my eyes focused on the goal, keep me in your zone.

Today's reading: Josh. 18:20; 1Cor. 9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home