Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Not Even One! - Job 31:6

"Let God judge me on the scales of justice, for he knows my integrity." Job 31:6

The more I read Job the more I understand its purpose. In reading chapter 31, you see a description of the "perfect Christian." If Job were honestly describing himself, this was a truly honorable and God-fearing man. A man who examined his every action and shaped it to comply with what he believed God was asking of him. If this was the only measure, I would be considered a failure when compared to Job. With human eyes, this is what we see; when we read Ps. 14 we get to hear what God sees: "The Lord looks down from heaven on the entire human race; he looks to see if there is even one with real understanding, one who seeks for God. But no, all have turned away from God; all have become corrupt. No one does good, not even one!" Ps. 14:2, 3 This is where Job's familiarity with God leads him astray. He THINKS he understands Gods perspective of what being right before him is; he thinks his acts will lead to righteousness. This could be the only reason for him to ask to be judged by God "on the scales of justice." This is either pure ignorance or arrogance when viewed through the lens of Ps. 14. No matter how good a man is, he will NEVER be good enough. Job was right earlier in realizing that he needed a mediator--he should have stopped there!

God, thank you for sending Jesus for I KNOW I am worthless on my own.

Today's reading: Job 31, 32; ; Gal. 5, 6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home