Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Control - Ps. 4:4-5

"Don't sin by letting anger gain control over you. Think about it overnight and remain silent. Offer proper sacrifices and trust the Lord." Ps. 4:4-5

I used to think that this verse and the one in Ephesians were talking about anger. I now think that God is really addressing issues of control here. Evidently, anger is a very powerful tool of Satan's; and when we allow anger to take root in us, we actually cede some aspect of control of our being over to him. I KNOW this is not theoretical but VERY real--I have felt it in myself very recently! The other day, Alice and I got into a rather heated argument and I got personally offended. As I allowed myself (it IS a choice) to get angry, I actually felt myself open a door and step onto a fast moving sidewalk--I started racing down this corridor of anger losing more control and caring less and less. And I think that's where it gets scary, when you don't care, what will you be willing to do? God's love holds us very tight, and when we love others without any concern for ourselves, we are in a very safe place--in fact, I believe Satan is completely disarmed. But when we get angry, and allow it to take root, I think we open a crack in the armor and are vulnerable. Satan definitely had me (not from a salvation standpoint mind you) for that moment because I gave him a foothold.

God, I thank you for your Son who set the perfect example of how to love, and I thank you for your Word that is the perfect owner's manual for this gift you have given me.

Today's reading: Gen. 25, 26; Ps. 6 (I read ahead); Lk. 10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home