Saturday, January 06, 2007

What's My Measure? - Lk. 6:38

"If you give, you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full measure, pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, and running over. Whatever measure you use in giving--large or small--it will be used to measure what is given back to you." Lk. 6:38

When Jesus talks like this, I am never sure whether he is talking about my reward being in this life or the next. Then my next though is, why should it matter? I am as weak as humans come; putting more value on me and today, than on others and tomorrow. How selfish and carnal is that?! Especially when God goes out of his way to describe my reward as being an immeasurable abundance, AND to warn me that my definition of reciprocity will be used on me--whether it be generous or miserly. This is, without a doubt, THE thorn in my size. I want my default to be generous and to give without expectation--but it is not.

Lord, only you can change a heart, and that is what is required here--divine intervention. Change your child.

Today's reading: Gen. 15-17; Lk. 6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home