Friday, January 12, 2007

Innocent Ignorance? - Lk. 12:48

"But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." Lk. 12:48

Whenever I have read this verse in the past, I always concentrated on the latter half because that is the category that I felt I fell into--I have been given much, so much is required from me. Scary and motivating all at the same time! But, I got to thinking, who are the people that the first part of the verse refers to? Who are the people who are not aware of what they are doing wrong? OK, follow my logic here: We are still talking about saved people here, otherwise their punishment could not be considered light; if they are saved, they have the Holy Spirit just like I do; if they have the Holy Spirit, all truth has been revealed to them; if Truth has been revealed, and they are filled with the Spirit of God, can they have the excuse that they didn't know what they were doing was wrong? There should be no excuse for ignorance AFTER being filled with the Holy Spirit.......right?? Aren't we all in the same boat here with regard to being sinners? That is -- "WE ARE". And where is this "punishment" supposed to take place? There is no punishment in heaven is there?

I am confused, somebody please straighten me out!

Jesus, no matter the answer, I know you have blessed me with much. I also know that I fall woefully short when it comes to fulfilling what expectations at least I FEEL you have of me. Sorry for being the miserable and weak sinner that I am, but I pray that in my weakness, somehow, your strength will be realized. No matter how much I stumble, I pray that you keep on a path moving TOWARD you.

Today's reading: Gen. 29, 30; Lk. 12

1 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger Ray said...

some times a little doubt and or confusion is could, I believe it can you make you search for answers to things that you already know in your heart the truth to what you seek...you know already that there is no punishment in heaven, only the judgment of Jesus as we go before him to receive our rewards or not,and or to be instructed in the task we will be assigned to for eternity, may it be a doorman or ruler! We decide in our daily lives how we are to live in eternity and the course we are to take, as we look forward to that day we are given our new body.I have come across this quote that has repeatly helped me when I tend to ponder and worry when the doubts arise.
BE CONTENT TO LIVE ONLY IN THE DAY THAT IS PRESENT AND FOR WHICH ALONE GRACE IS PROMISED...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home