Friday, July 20, 2007

Adulterer! - Jas. 4:4

"You adulterers! Don't you realize that friendship with this world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again, that if your aim is to enjoy this world, you can't be a friend of God." Jas. 4:4

I stand absolutely convicted. This is, without question, my greatest struggle. Honestly, what my heart desires, is to enjoy this world AND be a friend of God. This verse says that this is not possible. Maybe the operative word here is "aim." My aim is to please God first and foremost, and enjoy the world along the way. Sounds like rationalization, and to some extent it has to be, but my attempt is certainly NOT to enjoy this world at the EXCLUSION of God (like the examples given to us of God's condemnation of the O.T. church--is this what is meant in these verses?). Bottom line: I KNOW God wants more of me, and I struggle with my selfishness to give it.

God, please forgive my weakness and selfishness--help me to always move forward, never back.

Today's reading: 2Chr. 29-31; Jas. 4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home