Tuesday, July 24, 2007

As You Wish - 1Pet. 2:16, 17

From 7/23/07 reading:

"But your freedom is not an excuse to do evil. You are free to live as God's slaves... Fear God. Show respect for the king." 1Pet. 2:16, 17

What a foreign concept. We Americans are not real warm and fuzzy to the idea of Kings and servants, Masters and slaves; and therein lies our greatest problem. We actually believe that we are in control of some aspect of our lives, when in reality we were designed to be God's "slaves." Sounds harsh, but that is the reality of it--he's the master, we're the servant. Not what we like to hear in entrepreneurial, look out for number one, master of the universe America, but the sooner we realize what our true position relative to the Creator Of The Universe is, the sooner we can get on with what we were originally created to do. I am struck by how simple God's message is in the O.T. "I created you to love you and have relationship with you; with miracles, I rescued you out of slavery in Egypt; I set you apart to be my chosen people for all of eternity; all I ask is that you recognize me as your God -- give me my due, don't worship other Gods, or suffer the consequences." Just as a servant says to his Master's request, "As you wish," so should our response be to God's every request. But first we must recognize that we have a Master, and it is not us.

God, in a world that constantly pushes me to seek my own way, I pray that you keep my eyes focused on your way -- don't let me ever get confused about who's the boss. Let me always be ready to say, "As you wish."

Today's reading: 2Ki. 20; Is. 38-39; Ps. 75; 1Pet. 2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home