Tuesday, October 03, 2006

God vs. World - Lk. 16:15, 31

"Then he said to them, `You like to look good in public, but God knows your evil hearts. What this world honors is an abomination in the sight if God.'" Lk. 16:15

"...if they won't listen to Moses and the prophets, they won't listen even if someone rises from the dead." Lk. 16:31

These two verses clearly divide the world and God into two seperate camps. On one side you have God, on the other you have the world, which Jesus says honors everything that is an abomination to God! The point is made even more evident in the story of Lazarus and the rich man with the chasm between them. Jesus clearly states that I cannot serve two masters -- it is the world or God ... however ... in the story of the shrewd manager Jesus says, "I tell you, use your worldly resources to benefit others and make friends. In this way, your generosity stores up a reward for you in heaven." Lk. 16:9 What he seems to be telling me is that since I have to spend my days here on earth, I might as well use the resources I have been blessed with to exhibit God's heart -- that is generosity. That this attitude on earth actually carries a reward in heaven -- very interesting! So... wealth that I have been given on earth is kind of a test? That the only value it carries in God's eyes is what I do with it? "If you are untrustworthy with worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven?" Lk. 16:11 I don't think I have ever read these verses this way. That they are describing the strategic use of wealth to benefit the Kingdom.

Possibly the hardest hitting point of today's reading, though, is Jesus' prophetic statement about the lost state of the world and his coming resurrection (Lk. 16:31). That even if someone rises from the dead, the world will still not believe -- we should never underestimate the deceptive power of our adversary!

Today's reading: Ezra 5,6; Ps. 138; Lk. 16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home