Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thorns - 2Cor. 12:7

From the 11/18/06 reading:

"But to keep me from getting puffed up, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from getting proud." 2Cor. 12:7

I thank God for this verse. Without it, Paul is Super-Christian, and I lose my ability to relate to him. This makes him human. Everyone wonders what his thorn was, but I think it was God's wisdom that he kept that knowledge from us. Otherwise, we would compare we would compare his thorn with what we believe our is/are, make judgments and comparisons and miss the whole point. God knows what is best for us, and if we did not have issues to deal with, we would start to think that we don't need God. That's just how we human beings are, if God were to make us perfect, we would probably end up rejecting him in this life! Basically, to stay consistent with a theme, we suck! So the conclusion I draw is that the thorns we bear are actually for our PROTECTION, for "in our weakness, he is strong." What a concept!

One observation I made in this verse that I never noticed before, is that Paul's thorn is described as a "messenger from Satan." Is this a person? I always thought of Paul's thorn as being some ongoing sin or character flaw. Could it be that a thorn could be an actual person that we just can't get along with (but it becomes apparent that God has put this person in your life for a reason)? That we would have to find a way to love/forgive, and basically learn how to live with this person? Maybe even bless them?! Wouldn't it be just like God to make the lesson other people rather than ourselves?

Lord, you know me. You know I have multiple thorns. Help me to face my weakness so your strength will be revealed.

Today's reading: Ps. 124; 2Cor. 11-13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home