Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Been There - Heb. 5:2, 8

"And because he is human, he is able to deal gently with the people, though they are ignorant and wayward. For he is subject to the same weaknesses they have." Heb. 5:2

"So even though Jesus was God's Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered." Heb. 5:8

After reading about God's judgment on Israel in Hosea, it felt good to read these verses in Hebrews today. Even though theologically it doesn't hold up, it almost makes me feel like God hits a point of frustration in the O.T. where he says, "They just don't get it, they definitely aren't listening to me, I need to send someone they can relate to, I'll send my Son." ...and because he is human, he is able to deal gently... I serve a God who gets it. He understands that his ways are different from mine, and I struggle with things that he never will. But through his Son he gets it, he IS human. He understands my ignorance and waywardness, and he definitely deals gently with me. As awesome as God is, as loving and patient as he is, as much as he desires the deepest of relationships with me, shouldn't I have more devotion to him? Shouldn't I think more about what he wants and less about me? Shouldn't my focus be him before anything else? Why can't I more greatly embrace how temporary this world is? Why are my desires SO carnal?!

Has anyone else ever died just to have a relationship with me? Wow, if that perspective doesn't shape actions, nothing will.

I cited Heb. 5:8 simply because I don't feel like I have suffered a lot in this life. I am always afraid to blog about this or even pray about it for fear of God saying, "OK, well here you go!" I know, stupid, but I am ignorant and weak. But truly, what does this mean? At this moment, I am writing from our beach house. Waves are crashing in the background, we just celebrated Alice's 45th birthday, we are about to celebrate our 22nd anniversary, Bill and Marcia just left to go home after spending four days with us (we couldn't be blessed with better friends), Brandon and Evan are asleep in their rooms, Dave and Jonny left last night to go home so Dave could do his shift at Starbucks this morning, everyone is healthy, my business is thriving in a recession... Suffering? I don't really know the meaning of the word -- and I don't want to. But then what does this mean? All I know is that I am blessed, and that I am thankful.

God, don't EVER let me take your blessings for granted. I praise and thank you for all that you have blessed me with. I know there are categories of suffering, and that I have experienced some of them. My prayer is that I will always learn from whatever lessons you teach in whatever form, and that I don't have to experience more suffering for you to make your point. I pray that I will always recognize you in everything that happens everyday, and that I can always give you the credit. It is all about you. Even though I fail to recognize this too often, I thank you for your patience, your love and your Word that always helps me regain my focus. Keep me far from idols, you are all I want.

Today's reading: Hos. 13, 14; Ps. 100, 102; Heb. 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home