Tuesday, August 11, 2009

O.T. in 8 Verses - Jer. 7:21-28

"This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: 'Away with your burnt offerings and sacrifices! Eat them yourselves! When I led your ancestors out of Egypt, it was not burnt offerings and sacrifices I wanted from them. This is what I told them: 'Obey me and I will be your God, and you will be my people. Only do as I say and all will be well!'

But my people would not listen to me. They kept on doing whatever they wanted, following the stubborn desires of their evil hearts. They went backward instead of forward. From the day your ancestors left Egypt until now, I have continued to send my prophets--day in and day out. But my people have not listened to me or even tried to hear. They have been stubborn and sinful--even worse than their ancestors.

Tell them all this, but do not expect them to listen. Shout out your warnings, but do not expect them to respond. Say to them, 'This is the nation whose people will not obey the Lord their God and who refuse to be taught. Truth has vanished from among them; it is no longer heard on their lips.'" Jer. 7:21-28

It is not often that I site this long of a passage, but it was speaking very loudly to me today. In large part, it distills much of the O.T. message down to eight verses for me. Over and over again, this is the message that God is repeating to his people through his prophets. Two sentences stand out in particular, "They kept on doing whatever they wanted, following the stubborn desires of their evil hearts. They went backward instead of forward." As much as we might want to read the O.T. as a message to the Jews of the time, there is no question that there are words put there just for us! One of the things I always pray is that I can keep moving forward, even if it is three steps forward and two back, my goal is to make progress. What an indictment these verses are, for them and for us! My problem is, I am sure, the same as it was for the Jews he was addressing--I get too comfortable. As I get comfortable I start enjoying, and as I enjoy, the less I want to be uncomfortable. This cycle ultimately ends up moving me backward instead of forward. It is a constant battle to continue to move toward Christ and away from the world, but one worth fighting.

Lord, I pray that you keep me aware of the things that I allow in my life that come between me and you. Shine your light on these things, and give me the courage and strength to move away from them. Never stop drawing me closer!

Today's reading: Jer: 7-9; Jn. 13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home