Saturday, August 01, 2009

Keep Looking Up - Ps. 62:5-7

"I wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him. He alone is my rock and salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken. My salvation and honor come from God alone. He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me." Ps. 62:5-7

I can definitely improve in this area. I am OK on the salvation part, but I let my honor, way too often, be dictated by the world around me. Why do I try to impress? Why do I worry about what others think? What could I EVER be insecure about?! Why am I allowing my enemy to reach me, when my God has already provided a secure fortress in which to reside with no fear, concern or worry? Because my eyes are on the world and not on him. And it's not like I don't know what is going on. I can feel it happening, and yet I allow it! It just reminds me that we contend with a formidable enemy. However, we serve an even more awesome God! I just need to have COMPLETE trust in him. The word "complete" appears to be my stumbling block. When I am feeling beaten up or afraid, and I determine to look up to God as opposed to myself and my abilities, I feel immediate relief. So why don't I spend my life simply looking up at him and ignoring the world around me? It is simply my fallen nature, and I have a lifetime to contend with this weakness. But praise God that he has provided the path to freedom! My only challenge is to stay on it by looking up instead of down.

Lord, I know I am dealing with my lifelong thorn: How do I live in this world and not become part of it--how do I maintain my "alien" status while also desiring citizenship? I know the answer, it's just hard. Please help me. Be the biggest thing that I see on the horizon everyday.

Today's reading: Is. 65, 66; Ps. 62; Jn. 3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home