Friday, July 24, 2009

Partners - 1 Pet. 3:7

"In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat her with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, but she is your equal partner in God's gift of new life. If you don't treat her as you should, your prayers will not be heard." 1 Pet. 3:7

Funny how scripture is, I don't ever remember reading that last sentence. I write on this verse as much for my sons as for myself. We, as men, are always working on self-improvement. We pride ourselves on our ability and willingness to self-evaluate. What can make me better? How can I excel at what I do? What areas of my life need focus? And we pray diligently for God to give us wisdom, direction and answers to our prayers. BUT, how am I treating my wife?? If I am not treating her as I should, my prayers will not be heard, let alone answered! Not may not, WILL not. Hmmm, I'm a smart guy, process oriented, systems focused. What is God trying to show me with regard to my priorities? It's interesting that there is so much written on men's self-improvement in the Christian world, much of it revolving around prayer, discipline, etc. Yet I am not sure I have ever seen a focus on the idea that if you do not treat your wife properly, that your prayers will not even be heard! Sounds like a pretty important aspect of the whole discussion to me! I absolutely love my wife, but can I be better? Absolutely. I am all about looking for absolutes in God's word, and working to incorporate them into my life--this is one that always needs to focus, not because it is hard, but because it seems obvious. And that which is obvious does not always get the priority that it should. I also have to believe this is a major weapon that the enemy uses quite successfully against us men. I know that if I focus on what God wants me to that I can live with no fear. I love it that one of those things is my wife!

God, thank you for blessing me with an amazing partner. Perfect for me in every way, and I would expect no less from the Author Of All Things. Keep my focus on her and her needs; make me ever more aware of what it takes to really communicate with her; thank you for a relationship that seems to only get better with time!

Today's reading: Is. 40-42; 1 Pet. 3

1 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Alice Remedios said...

God's word is awesome! I am BLESSED by it everyday... some days more than others! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home