Saturday, November 25, 2006

It's Not Fair - Mat. 20:15

"Is it against the law for me to do what I want with my money? Should you be angry because I am kind?" Mat. 20:15

Even after all these years, every time I read this story my first reaction is, "That's not fair!" It just shows how overwhelming my flesh is, and how difficult it is to really be like Christ in all our worldly circumstances. It makes me realize that perhaps I am not as for down that road of sanctification as I might think. What about the thief on the cross? Isn't he THE classic case of a worker coming late to the field? Have I EVER questioned whether this man was saved? No, but was it "fair" that Jesus offered him salvation on his "deathbed?" The big question is, do I really want to go there? As Jesus pointed out, why does this have to be a question of fairness as opposed to kindness? And do I REALLY want fairness? Am I any better than the thief? Better be careful what I ask for!

Jesus, show me how to offer kindness regardless of merit--since I really have none of my own.

Today's reading: Mat. 20-22

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home