Thursday, February 15, 2007

I Will Follow - Ps. 25:4-5

"Show me the path where I should walk, O, Lord; point out the right way for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you." Ps. 25:4-5

In this Psalm, David expresses his confidence in the Lord's leading. It is awesome to hear a man of God verbalizing his faith and trust in the Lord, and to hear how he involves God in his daily life. How often am I going off on my own? Making decisions that "seem right to a man"? This is dangerous ground to be walking on all by myself; God wants to lead -- I should let him! Like yesterday, I can't help but think that even though David seems confident, some of his words betray a sense of insecurity at the same time. It's almost as if he feels the need to remind God of all the good things he has done compared to all the evil people around him. I'm not trying to take anything away from King David. He was an AWESOME man of God, and even God said that he was a man after his own heart. But he was a man. And mere humans have a hard time reconciling their sinfulness in the face of a perfect God. He makes this statement at the end of the Psalm, "May integrity and honesty protect me, for I put my hope in you." Again, a hope that something HE does will protect him from God's wrath; yet earlier he asks God to forgive his sins and, "look instead through the eyes of your unfailing love." So which is it, his integrity and honesty that saves him, or God's love? For David, I am sure that he at times asked the same question. For us, because of Jesus, there is no doubt.

God, I thank you for David and the all the men of faith who came before Jesus. I thank you for their life of faith they left for me to emulate. I thank you for their ability to maintain hope when at times there was very little reason to. I pray that I can live up to their example.

Today's reading: Lev. 25; Ps. 25-26; Acts 22

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home