Sunday, March 04, 2007

Doubting Thomas - Mk. 11:23-24

"...All that is required is that you really believe and do not doubt in your heart. Listen to me! You can pray for anything, and if you believe, you will have it." Mk. 11:23-24

I have always struggled with this set of verses (starting in 11:22). Move mountains? Pray for ANYTHING? Was he speaking figuratively? I have heard teachings in different directions on this. Maybe it all comes down to the "doubt" part--maybe THAT is why we don't see mountains move. Obviously, if I am writing this, I am already giving evidence of doubt. It's not that I don't believe in miracles, I have seen my share, it's the "mountains" and "anything" parts. As a human, I don't know how to have ZERO doubt in the miraculous; in fact, I can think of very few people in the history of mankind that I can look to as a good example. As I pondered this, I came to think of Brother Yun in Heavenly Man (God was obviously behind this thought!). I stand corrected. THERE is a man who evidenced little to no doubt in what God was capable of, and truly miraculous things happened all around him--in fact, he came to depend on the miraculous! I think the verse IS literal--I just have too much doubt to see it happen.

Lord, help me to see with spiritual eyes. Blur the material world, and bring into focus the supernatural -- remove all doubt.

Today's reading: Num. 34-36; Mk. 11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home