Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Anticipation - 1Thess. 1:3

"As we talk to our God and Father about you, we think of your faithful work, your loving deeds, and your continual anticipation of the return of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1Thess. 1:3

These are the things that stand out to Paul when he thinks of the Thessalonians: things that they DID, and their living in ANTICIPATION of Christ's return. I find that I'm generally OK at being a good person and DOING good things/deeds, it's the living in "continual anticipation" part that gets me -- I don't do this well, and it MUST affect my witness. I tend to live for today and plan for tomorrow, even though I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. How is this any different from the way the rest of the world lives? 1Thess. 1 talks about the Gospel spreading because of the way the Thessalonians lived their lives -- Christ was evident, something was different. How am I different? Am I living in anticipation? This has to be the missing piece; other than salvation itself, it is THE thing the world cannot have.

Jesus, I repent of my poor witness of you. The world should be seeing something different when it sees me, and I fear that often it sees a reflection of itself. Holy Spirit, I pray that you change me. On my own I simply do not have the strength.

Today's reading: Mat. 28; 1Thess. 1-3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home