Monday, July 13, 2009

Holy - Heb. 10:29

"Think how much more terrible the punishment will be for those who have trampled on the Son of God and have treated the blood of the covenant as if it were common and unholy. Such people have insulted and enraged the Holy Spirit who brings God's mercy to his people." Heb. 10:29

Originally I was going to write on verse 19 where "we can boldly enter heaven's most holy place...," but after I read verse 29, I got to thinking that maybe sometimes I can be too bold with God because of my faith. Because of my confidence in the work of Jesus, is it possible to treat the things of God with too much familiarity and not enough reverence? I am certain that given the context of the surrounding verses John is talking about people who completely turn their back on God; however, the verse does specifically talk about God's attitude toward those who treat the blood of the covenant "as if it were common and unholy." What does this mean in the context of the way we worship at Hope? We are proud of our "casual" dress and relaxed environment, but can it go too far? Can it have unintended consequences? I don't know the answer to this for the church as a whole, but I can be responsible for my actions. While I truly enjoy thinking of God as a family member, and approaching him with that kind of love and intimacy, I must remember also that this is the God of the universe, the King of kings. There is absolutely a reverence that is due him, a recognition of his holiness. While we may be a "casual" church from a dress perspective, I must be careful to not allow this casualness to bleed into my worship of God. There is nothing "common" about complete Holiness.

God, thank you for your Son's one and only perfect sacrifice that allows me to approach you in the most Holy place with boldness. Thank you that there is nothing that separates me from a relationship with you. Keep my perspective on the things you deem holy; please always keep the incredible nature of your Righteousness fresh in front of my face; don't ever allow me to insult the Holy Spirit.

Today's reading: Is. 15-18; Heb. 10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home