Thursday, December 14, 2006

Discipline - Heb. 12:8

"If God doesn't discipline you as he does all his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children at all." Heb. 12:8

This verse has always kind of scared me -- I don't feel like I am disciplined a lot. Am I just in denial? Do I just not really understand what the word means? To me it means pain, and there is not a lot of pain in my life. I definitely feel myself being stretched to do his will vs. mine, and the conflict/consequence of being disobedient -- but not pain like Paul felt pain. Don't get me wrong, I thank God that I have been spared that, and I certainly am not asking for anything to change. I just worry sometimes that the hammer is really going to drop on me one day. As a kid, I would always rather be grounded than spanked, I guess that hasn't changed.

God, I KNOW that I am your child, that I am NOT illegitimate; so help me to have a better understanding as to what your definition of discipline is.

Today's reading: Heb. 12,13; Jude

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home