Saturday, April 14, 2007

Commitment - 1Sam. 14:43-44

"'I tasted a little honey.' Jonathan admitted. 'It was only a little bit on the end of a stick. Does that deserve death?
'Yes, Jonathan,' Saul said, 'you must die! May God strike me dead if you are not executed for this.'" 1Sam. 14:43-44

This sounds extreme to us in "modern day" society--a death sentence for breaking a fast that you did not even know about?! But these people (at least their leaders) lived with a REAL fear of God. They were absolute in their belief in him, and committed to following his rules to the letter. It also appears that God EXPECTED no less. So... are they extreme, or have we marginalized God so much in our lives that we no longer can identify with what God's true expectations of us really are? Hmmm....

Lord, help me to not rationalize what you are calling me to do. Be absolutely clear, and I will be obedient.

Today's reading: 1Sam. 14; 1Chron. 4; 2Cor. 13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home