Thursday, May 03, 2007

God Knows - 1Chr. 17:17-18

"You speak as though I were someone very great, O Lord God! What more can I say about the way you have honored me? You know what I am really like." 1Chr. 17:17-18

I just LOVE David's heart! As much as God has blessed him even to this early point in his dynasty, he has not let it go to his head--he remains humble. He is not fuzzy in any way about his position relative to God. The last sentence is a telling one, "You know what I am really like." In other words, God may be telling him and the world how great he is, but David retains the knowledge of who he REALLY is--a weak, human sinner. And he knows that God knows what his real condition is--he has just CHOSEN to bless him. What a great lesson for all of us: that everything we are, have, and hope to be is all a choice that GOD has made. We like to act like we are in control, and if anyone should have been it would have been King David. But he recognized a simple truth that we too often forget: God is God and we are not.

Almighty God, I thank you for all the blessings in my life. I am not worthy of even a fraction of what you have given me. I pray that you keep me humble; like David, keep me always mindful of my position relative to you.

Today's reading: 2Sam. 7; 1Chr. 17; Ps. 2; Mat. 20

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home