Monday, April 23, 2007

Model Citizen - Mat. 10:16-18

"Be as wary as snakes and harmless as doves... And you must stand trial before governors and kings because you are my followers. This will be your opportunity to tell them about me--yes, to witness to the world." Mat. 10:16-18

Even though Jesus is warning the disciples about what they are in for, he is also describing HIS life here on earth perfectly. He WAS our model citizen! He was always cautious and wary around the Pharisees and the Saducees, deftly handling their arguments and trickery in non-violent, or "harmless" ways. He stood accused before governors and kings and never shied away from presenting the gospel. He looked for every opportunity to "present and pursue." He was very aware that his time was short; he acted with urgency because, "the kingdom of God was at hand..." Even if there are Christians who believe that they are actually doing a good job at living up to Jesus' example (myself EX-cluded), I would question whether any of us really live our lives with the urgency that Jesus could return at ANY moment. I know that I don't. I act like I am going to go on living a very long time, and I know that this gives Satan a foothold. Jesus IS my model, but I am a very weak imitation.

Jesus, I pray that you continue to interrupt my daily living. Slap me around and keep me aware of the urgency of your call, make me wary as a snake to keep from falling into Satan's traps.

Today's reading: 1Sam. 27; Ps. 141; 1Chr. 9; Mat. 10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home