Friday, May 04, 2007

My Faith, His Will - Mat. 21:21-22

"Then Jesus told them, 'I assure you, if you have faith and don't doubt, you can do things like this and much more. You can even say to this mountain, 'May God lift you up and throw you into the sea', and it will happen. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.'" Mat. 21:21-22

Everyone I know (myself included) has struggled, or is struggling with this passage, so I decided to ponder--here is what I came up with: WHY IS THERE A STRUGGLE?! If I believe that God is capable of ANYTHING, what's the problem? Well, I'll let you in on what none of us really wants to admit: We don't really believe that this passage is true for us, therefore, Jesus must not be speaking literally, this MUST be a figurative statement, or maybe a statement about the spiritual realm. It certainly cannot mean a REAL mountain! Well here is a truism that there is just no getting around: Since when is what GOD capable of limited by what we happen to think?! If he wants something to happen, guess what? It happens! It would be much wiser (and logical) on our part to conclude one of two things if we feel less than capable in this area: Either we lack faith and are doubters, or it was not God's will for it to happen. More likely to be weakness on our part than God's!

God, It's passages like this that makes me question why you chose us humans to carry your message here on earth--we are just SO weak in so many ways. I pray that you increase my faith--I believe, help me in my unbelief.

Today's reading: 2Sam. 8, 9; 1Chron. 18, 19; Mat. 21

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home