Friday, September 28, 2007

He Hears AND Answers - Lk. 11:8-9

"'But I tell you this -- though he won't do it as a friend, if you keep on knocking long enough, he will get up and give you what you want so his reputation won't be damaged. And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will be given what you ask for...'" Lk. 11:8-9

This is a confusing set of verses for me because God appears to be a reluctant giver. The only thing I can reconcile this with is when, in the OT, he tells Israel he will answer their prayers, not because they deserve it, but to keep his reputation intact. Even though this could be viewed as disconcerting, I take strange comfort from these verses. At the bottom of it all, what he is telling me is that even if I am not seeing immediate results, to keep on asking and he WILL respond (regardless of the "why"). I know that theologically there is much more to it than this, but because of some issues I am praying about right now, I REALLY needed to hear this.

God, thank you for this promise. Even if I am not understanding all aspects of it, I thank you for being a God who hears and answers my prayers.

Today's reading: Zech. 1-3; Lk. 11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home