Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Effort Required - Ps. 119:25-29

"I lie in dust, completely discouraged; revive me by your word. I told you my plans and you answered. Now teach me tour principles. Help me understand the meaning of your commandments, and I will meditate on your wonderful miracles. I weep with grief; encourage me with your word. Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing your law." Ps. 119:25-29

All through Ps. 119 I sense the Psalmist expressing the effort required to live a godly life. "Keep me from lying to myself..." If that doesn't describe my plight! Three steps forward, two back--but with God's help always hopefully gaining ground. But it takes reflection, focus and continual effort. It's when I let my guard down and try to coast when I get in trouble. I turn into that greedy person we read about in Eph. 5 today who is really nothing more than an idolater, worshiping things of this world. How easily I am distracted!!

Holy Spirit, you know how weak and worldly of a person I am; how easily I believe the lies I tell myself--help me make the most of every moment, keep me focused on your ways and your call.

Today's reading: Eph. 5, 6; Ps. 119:1-80

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home