Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Far Greater Is He... - Lk. 22:31-32

"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to have all of you, to sift you like wheat. But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen and build up your brothers." Lk. 22: 31-32

What a moment in time this is. We get to watch Satan lose big time on two critical fronts. First, he THINKS he has victory over Jesus by arranging his death; then he thinks he has taken Peter out of the game by causing him to deny Christ. These two perceived victories turn into two of his greatest failures of all time as Jesus rises from his death to guarantee our salvation, and Peter repents and emerges as the foundation of the new church. I love the picture we get of Jesus interceding on Peter's behalf. Even with the knowledge of Peter's pending failure, he commissions him as THE future leader of the church. Even though he knows Peter's denial is coming, his prayer isn't that Peter doesn't deny him, it is that his faith won't fail in the process. I am weak, but HE is strong, and he has overcome the world. Because Satan is real, and because I am a sinful man, I WILL sin in this world. My job is to repent, and maintain the faith to know that Jesus has already gained the victory, and will use me in spite of myself.

Jesus, what can I say? I repent of my sinfulness. Thank you for saving me and calling me your son; thank you for being willing to operate through this broken vessel. I love you.

Today's reading: Ex. 3-5; Lk. 22

1 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Blogger Terry said...

Satans plans are always since the beginning in the Garden being turned, Nothing happens in our christian life that does not ultimately align with God's purposes. Even the distorted schemes of the evil one do become tools in the hand of God. I wrote about this on my blog on December 3 while reflecting on how God had done this in my life over the past year. At that time I did not know of the events that were going to happen on December 14 when I would lose my job, and how Jesus would turn that arround. Every plan every scheme of the devil just shows God's glory, I could list them for hours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home