Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Must Be Personal - Philem. 1:6

"You are generous because of your faith..." Philem. 1:6

I cited this verse because it is the most instructive to me in the entire book. Other than my generosity being born out of my faith, I am not sure why God included this book in the Bible. I'm not questioning God's wisdom, I just don't understand. Even with this singular verse that I find instructive, Paul was simply using it to set up Philemon so he can ask him to take Onesimus back. This is what the entire letter appears to be about -- Paul leaning on Philemon (says he won't demand, but he really does) to put aside his differences and accept Onesimus back as his slave for Paul's sake. There is obviously some history here that we are not privy to, so I'll chalk this one up to more of a personal issue for Paul than instruction for the church.

Lord, when I fail to see your ways, I pray that you open my eyes--give me wisdom.

Today's reading: Philem.; Heb. 1-4

1 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Terry said...

The instruction for us from Philem

18 If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me.
19 I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it backā€”not to mention that you owe me your very self.

We owe Christ everything if any brother ever wrongs us we are to chalk it up to Christ account.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home